Washington, D.C. 20 Nov 2012

It was already an early departure this morning from Philadelphia, compounded by one of these blasted acrylic nails popping off just prior to turning in last night.  For better and worse, I've come to depend on the things when playing finger style. If one expires it's like a dog limping on three legs.  So, it was up at 7, coffee, shower, pack and scour the internet for a nail salon near the hotel.  I found one a half mile away that opened at 9:30 and was waiting on their doorstep when the lock unlatched.  Saved.  On the way back I spied a neighbourhood pizza joint that was open for breakfast.  With an hour to spare, I went in for a couple of scrambled eggs, fresh hashbrown potatoes, toast and coffee..all great, for a whopping $4.50.

We piled on the buses for an 11 o'clock departure and a three hour drive to Washington and tonight's show at Verizon Centre.  We'd left Philly so early uncertain what the traffic might be, but as it was the roads were moving and we arrived at the venue at 2 in the afternoon leaving us with a whole lot of time to fill in our locker room digs which was spent between eating, sleeping, practising and computer stuff. Just before soundcheck my friend Gordon Roberts with Headway electronics popped in for a visit and cup of tea.  Gordon, the man behind those wonderful Eastman arch-top guitars, now works with Headway who make violin, cello, bass and guitar pick-ups as well an accompanying pre-amp.

We finally got a sound check at 6:10, doors opened at 6:30.  I had a very quick bite with Gordon and also a short visit with Mark Bartell of Tone King Amplifiers that both Mark and I have used for years. Good seeing both those guys.  Also attending tonight's show was one of our favourite musicians, Bruce Molsky and his wife.

Our final bus journey tonight following the show, 230 miles to Manhattan.  Making the miles easier were plates of b.b.q. ribs, chicken and brisket, G & T's, and a musical whiplash playlist courtesy of Jim C.

It's been a long day and I finally got down to sleep at 5 in the morning.  Tomorrow is our final show in Brooklyn.

So long,